Frequently Asked Questions…• Temperature underground is a cool 48°F, so a sweater or jacket is recommended.
• Underground portion of tour lasts approximately 45 to 50 minutes.
• Mine altitude is 10,000 feet above sea level.
• Smoking is not permitted on the motor-coach, mine shuttle, or underground in the mine
• Rest rooms located at gift shop building.
• Video and flash cameras welcome!
• Large parking lot with plenty of room for RV’s
• Highly scenic road to the mine is paved for 2 miles, then well maintained gravel for the last three miles. Accessible to all cars and recreational vehicles.
Directions and General Information
To get here take US HWY 550 (The San Juan Skyway) to Silverton. Drive down Silverton's paved main street through town. Just past the Courthouse and Museum take a right turn onto County Road 2. Continue on CR 2 for two miles - passing the Mayflower Mill where the road becomes gravel - then two more miles to the ghost town of Howardsville. Past the "Alpine Loop" sign cross the creek and immediately turn right onto County Road 4, following the creek 1/4 mile, taking the left fork onto County Road 4-A. Continue on County Road 4-A 3/4 mile to the mine. Follow the blue and white "Mine Tour" directional signs that are located along the way after you leave the Silverton town limits.
Otherwise please fill out the form to have one mailed to you.
Thank you for your interest in the Old Hundred Gold Mine Tour.